Friday, July 13, 2018

Hello from the other side.

One might say I took a break from this blog.  Maybe it was the whole moving to a new country thing?  Or perhaps it had to do with immersing myself into the manic world of studying, stressing, and more studying (otherwise known as veterinary school).  Regardless, here we are, SEVEN years later. It's as if we all blinked and I moved to Scotland, left my family, friends and dog behind, and then moved back; oh and then moved to Utah.

I have recently decided to jump back into my blog for two very legitimate reasons:
1. I recently saw the wonderfully awful film, Jurassic World, which showcased a "Paleo Vet" (read Dinosaur Vet).  My inner child rejoiced, and then I remembered, wait, didn't I  make a blog that one time where I called myself a Dinosaur Vet?  Yes, yes I did and I am still dreaming of the day that I too may share the role of Paleo Vet.  My criticism of the medical accuracy in Jurassic World will be saved for another time.
2. I recently took a step in my career that led me to leave one veterinary family and enter another.  The clinics could not be more different, and yet the principals and love for animals are the same.  This transition has allowed me to reflect on my career choice, and myself as a veterinarian.  Long gone are the days of Mr. Herriot (a tip of the hat to you sir).  We live in a world where veterinary medicine is on the close heals of human medicine with regards to our diagnostics and treatments for the plethora of conditions we see.  I had a client today who was shocked to learn that I was not only his dog's primary physician, but also I could be its surgeon, cardiologist and anesthesiologist all at once. I realized then and there I needed a space to share my stories, vent my woes, and merely ramble about the day-to-day life of a veterinarian.  Because, no we are not the money-hungry doctors of your dogs and cats, rather the individuals who are up late at night, stressing, wondering, brainstorming what to do with your beloved fur-baby.

I want the pet owners of the world to understand what it is we go through on a daily basis, all the highs and lows.  I want fellow veterinarians to know, they too are not alone when worrying if they made the right calls. I want awareness for compassion fatigue.  And I want all owners to know that we love your pet, just as much as you do.  Even if it empties its anal glands all over our scrubs at 8 a.m. on a Monday morning.

So stay tuned, I plan on posting again, in less than seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment